Dane suspected of bow and arrow attack that killed five in Norway

Khuda ki Basti: Police say 37-year-old Danish citizen is believed to have been acting alone during attacks in southeastern town of Kongsberg.

A 37-year-old Danish citizen is in custody suspected of killing five people in a bow-and-arrow attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, police said on Thursday.

Two others were injured in the attack in Kongsberg, which lies about 68km (42 miles) southwest of the capital, Oslo.
The motive behind the attack on Wednesday evening remains unclear.

“The police are giving this information because of all the rumours on social media regarding people who are not linked to these very serious acts,” police said in a statement in which they gave the suspect’s nationality but did not identify him.

The suspect, who was apprehended 20 minutes after the attack began, is believed to have been acting alone, police said earlier.

According to police, the suspect walked around the city shooting people with arrows. Norwegian police said they will investigate whether the attack amounted to an act of terrorism.

“Given how events unfolded, it is natural to assess whether this is a terrorist attack,” Police Chief Oyvind Aas told a news conference.

“The arrested man has not been interviewed and it is too early to say anything about his motives.”

Prime Minister Erna Solberg said the reports from Kongsberg were “horrifying”.

The attacks took place over “a large area” of Kongsberg, which is home to about 28,000 people, police said.

Police were alerted to the attack at approximately 6:30pm local time (16:30 GMT).
Police said the suspect had been taken to a police station in the nearby town of Drammen.

The TV2 station reported that the man also had a knife or other weapons.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *